Its been two weeks since my last post and since then my Software Engineering has really increased in pace. In just two weeks I went from coding single objects to whole programs. For my portfolio project at the end of Phase One I had to make a program with a CLI (command line interface) that used an API. Here’s how it went.

The week of the project I had a family emergency that caused me to get behind, but I got caught up. However, I was not able to add everything I wanted to the program because of these events so I will add on to it as soon as I get some free time.

My program is called Global Events. It uses the NASA API to show recently detected earthquakes, volcanoes, severe storms, and wildfires along with their locations.

When I started making the program the first thing I did was setup the directory and the GitHub repository.

The GitHub repository for my file

Next, I needed to get started on coding. I got started with making a class that accessed the NASA API and gathered the information I needed. After that I created classes for settings and the events gathered by the API class.

Finally, I made the Command Line Interface which is how people actually interact with the program.

I really enjoyed the process of making this program. It challenged me to step out of my comfort zone and do something I thought I wasn’t ready for. In reality, I ended up being ready all I had to do was take the leap.